Monday, September 27, 2010

Now he is getting into the life!

CECTPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's no-ryccku for sister. I wish i was better at typing on a russian keyboard cause then I could actually send you some rad lookin stuff. But alas. The timer.

Things are going way awesome here. The first week felt like it took FOREVER but now I'm way surprised that it's already been two weeks. I love this stuff. This whole missionary biznass. I'm learning so much here and I feel like I've known my district for years even though I've only known them for two weeks!! It's bizarre. I really didn't think I would warm up to them so quick when I first got here because I was so preoccupied on missing home and realizing how hard a mission is going to be etc, etc. But it's really really been awesome now that I've settled in. Once I got to know people it got a lot easier.

There are a ton of HILARIOUS elders here. I also met a group of Russian elders and sisters and they're way awesome. I've decided that Russian humor is maybe my favorite type of humor. We have a tutor here who helps us out sometimes, whose name is Brother Shelyakin. He's from Ukraine but he speaks Ukrainian and Russian (he says "Russia and Ukraine, is same place." Imagine it with a heavy accent). He's one of the most amusing people I've ever met. Seriously. Russians/Ukrainians. They know where it's attttt. Also, this same Brother Shelyakin told my district that if you read the Book of Mormon cover to cover in your mission language, then by the end, you will know the language. He went to England on his mission, so he read the Book of Mormon in English, and he said that, "I wake up next morning, and boom--English then is not new different language to me now. It just language that I know perfect that I speak like other language from Ukraine." (Imagine the accent again. Hahaha.) So I started reading the Book of Mormon no-ryccku. It's really difficult... especially because I haven't learned all the grammar rules, cases, etc., that I need in order to speak it and recognize conjugations. Russian is so cool because a lot of times word order doesn't even matter. Every part of the sentence is "labeled" by a conjugation, so you can tell which part of the sentence it is no matter where it is (generally). I'm having so much fun learning it. It's like a puzzle sometimes!! I also note that when I haven't put forth a good effort to have the Spirit with me, then my studying of the language gets tougher.... hmmm.... imagine that.... Gift of Tongues is real, everyone.

SAM i almost forgot i have awesome awesome news. Me and mou Hanapnuk (companion) got selected to sing in an MTC choir for Priesthood Session!!!!! which means we get to leave the MTC on Oct 3rd and go to the live session. AND PRODUCE TEH MUZIKS FOR TEH CHURCH. I'm soooooooooooooooo excited. It's kind of a big deal. Dad, tell caleb and seth and patrick to be watchin for me!!!! I might be on teh tvs!!!!!

Ahh I've been spending all of my email time on this one letter, so I'm just going to forward it to both you and Mom. I've been writing about things that I wanted to tell both of you anyways. But I'll be able to spend more time on the letters that I send, so you'll get more details and fun stories from that.

Anyhow, I have 6:30 min left on this timer, so I'll just talk some more. Mom, I like the idea of the blog if it's something that you want to do. I'm not sure how many of my friends will actually read it but I think it will be good for extended family and such.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I am so excited for Alex! To sing in the MTC choir at the Priesthood session! I am going to go over to Grandpa's house and watch it on his tv just so I can see Alex!

    Elder, you are awesome. I like the idea of reading the book of mormon with another language. I will have to share that idea with Justin. I gave him a new set of scriptures for his birthday and that is his goal, to read it before he leaves on his mission. Its a cool way to study and like you and sis. Sam said, it seems to absorb differently that way. The only other language I know is Spanish so I will have to go get me a Spanish BoM and try it.

    Our Primary just had their primary program and I loved their testimonies and their sweet spirits. It gave me goosebumps to hear the personal stories that a few of them shared. It was so sweet! Serving in the primary has been so much fun this time around. After serving for almost 20 years I needed a break and here I am 10 years later and loving it. I teach the 9-10 year olds and they are so smart! I think of Hope and Marisa when I am teaching and it makes it even that much funner, if that is such a word.

    Love that Elder Morris!! Take care and know that you and Hermana Sam are continuously in our
    prayers! Love Auntie Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh........Alex! de Russian!! It is so fun to see them growing in the short time they are in the MTC. What a blessing it is to have missionaries in your family! Your family will be blessed along with them. What a beautiful testimony you have Alex. Hugs and Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing his sense of humor come out in this letter. I can just hear him quoting his tutor in the heavy Russian accent. It's too funny in my head. I'm so glad to be able to read a letter from him. He sounds like he's doing incredible.

    ReplyDelete